Brussels attacks: Belgian police arrest two more men

12/04/2016 - 17:53 Published in NEWS

Belgium has charged two more suspects in connection with last month's Brussels airport and metro attacks, according to the federal prosecutor's office.

A statement said Smail F and Ibrahim F were "charged with participation in the activities of a terrorist group, terrorist murders and attempts to commit terrorist murders".

The prosecutor said that there were indications the two men could be linked to an address in the Avenue des Casernes in the Etterbeek district of Brussels which was raided last week.

At the time, police said they found nothing at the address but reports later suggested that two men, one of whom later blew himself up in the Maalbeek metro station, may have stayed there or used it at some point.

The second man, later identified by authorities as Osama K, was apparently also carrying a bomb, but for reasons unknown did not go through with the attack.
Three suicide bombers - two at the aiport and one at the metro station in central Brussels - killed at least 32 people in Belgium's worst terror attack which was claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group.

Investigators have found extensive links between the Brussels and November Paris attacks, with many of the same people involved and linked to ISIL in Syria.

At the weekend, the authorities said they believed that the Brussels cell originally planned to stage another attack in France but the arrest of key Paris suspect Salah Abdeslam on March 18, followed by a massive round of police raids, caused them to change their plans and target Belgium.

Source: Agencies