A Pentagon official, on Wednesday, announced that the United States decided to reduce the number of its forces in Iraq to 3 thousand, or almost half, this September.
This came according to what was reported by American media, including "ABC News", on the authority of General Kenneth MacKenzie, commander of the US Central Command in the Middle East.
"In recognition of the great progress made by the Iraqi forces and in consultation and coordination with the Iraqi government and our coalition partners, the United States decided to reduce the presence of our forces in Iraq from about 5,200 to 3,000 soldiers this September," McKinsey said, in statements from Baghdad.
He explained that the remaining soldiers will continue to cooperate with the Iraqi security forces in efforts to "eradicate the last remnants" of the terrorist organization ISIS.
"This decision is due to our confidence in increasing the ability of the Iraqi security forces to operate independently," he said.
It is noteworthy that, last month, US President Donald Trump confirmed his desire to withdraw all US forces from Iraq, saying that the withdrawal would take place as soon as possible.